Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Romans 1:20

Once again I’m reminded of some of God’s more appealing attributes.

I had the idea that I was going to film a scene against the blown-out background of the setting sun itself durning what has been colloquially coined “The Golden Hour.” This is the period of time that occurs within one hour of dusk, and remains the only time that will guarantee that a producer will at the very least tolerate your work. Many producers refuse to even glance at anything shot midday.

And so it was that last year I had chosen a similar aesthetic for my thematic element: “The Arrival 2007” against a blown-out white backdrop, much like the “Mac vs. PC” promotional advertisements. Yet this year, I wanted something more artistic; something more tangible; something that people could sink their eyes into.

Hence, “The Golden Hour.”

And it just so happened during my initial setup and throughout the shooting day that I was struck by the most glorious thing: I had stumbled upon the very essence of God’s beauty personified in light & shape.


The woman’s beauty struck me in a way that tore open a window into the reveries of God’s creativity. The blazing sunset set afire each strand of her hair, such that resembled gold spun by the Master Himself. And as for the landscape, there remained nothing more of fall’s faltering fauna; it was all ablaze with the very presence of God. Unfortunately, these images are quite "lame-sauce" compared to the event itself, but serve to provide a foggy semblance of God's majestic visage.


And while the feeling faded shortly after the shoot was over, the effects were not lost on me. If only for an instant, I had "slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God." Though my vision was veiled, and justly so, this stood as yet another example of the evidence of God's existence permeating all that I had perceived. The editing process stood as a memorial to that fact.

If nothing else, God's beauty was more luminous to me in that instant than I had remembered it being for quite some time. And therein I found shalom. Yet another reminder of God's glory waking me from an unfortunate spiritual slumber.

No comments: